Advertisement

Creating editable content PDFs from InDesign.

topic posted Sat, March 11, 2006 - 10:16 AM by  Paul
Share/Save/Bookmark
HI
Im using InDesign 2.0 and have no trouble exporting PDFs for litho printing.

But now I have a project where I need to export a PDF (simple DL 6pp leaflet) that allows the client to edit and input text in Acrobat, then send to print. Trouble is that when I do this the text is only editable line by line. Also I can't seem to embed fonts, only subset them, so Acrobat won't let them change the text. Anyone have any experience in this area?

Thanks
posted by:
Paul
Ireland
Advertisement
  • Re: Creating editable content PDFs from InDesign.

Sat, March 11, 2006 - 10:47 AM
    someone else may have a solution that i'm not aware of, but as far as i know for your client to be able to enter their own text you would have to leave the variable areas empty in the InDesign layout, then after generating the PDF, create form fields in Acrobat to hold all the text. this would also eliminate the need to embed the fonts.

but otherwise, you can control how much of the font is embedded from: Export PDF > Advanced > Fonts: Subset fonts when percent of characters used is less than XXX% <--- change this to a lower percentage, like 0% to embed all fonts. (granted, i haven't tried this as i never have to embed all fonts, but if it's gonna work, that's where it would happen)
    • Re: Creating editable content PDFs from InDesign.

Sun, March 12, 2006 - 10:02 AM
      Thanks for the advice Ray. I might try both and see what works best. I suspect the subset fonts will suit as up to 6 different people from a group will be editing text on different machines. Therefore it will be easier to subset the font rather than try and install it on 6 machines. Will post again if I have any more trouble.
  • Not sure if any of this will help, but perhaps it will.

Fonts, should always be embeded in a PDF, especially if it going to a vendor. If you are having trouble doing this you can specify specific font locations for Acrobat Distiller to always search, and you can also designate particular fonts that Distiller should always embed. If you cannot make it work straight out of InDesign, sometimes a PS file dropped in Distiller will accomplish this with a custom Distiller setting. I use the virtual printer as much as possible, instead of using the automatic option provided by InDesign or the OS.

As far as editing is concerned you are going to be a bit stuck. Line by line is about the only way to go with copy already placed. Otherwise using Ray's suggestion of creating fields in the PDF is a good way to go, though type control is a bit limited.

Recent topics in "INDESIGN"

Topic Author Replies Last Post
Palette windows are slivers Unsubscribed 1 October 15, 2010
Book Library Document KIVÃ… 8 September 9, 2010
File preview in finder? Unsubscribed 1 June 30, 2010
Creating Outlines---text effect disappears. Spider 6 June 18, 2010